Painting knives and spatulas are ideal tools for mixing paint on palettes. They are made of flexible metal or plastic, and available in different shapes.
- Metal or plastic spatula, or painting knives
- Choice of paint colours
Step 1: Use the spatula to put a small amount of each colour of paint on the palette.
Step 2: Combine the colours by spreading, scraping and crushing the paint to create a small, evenly mixed glob.
- Mix the paint on a smooth surface, such as a plastic palette or a sheet of wax paper.
- When mixing paint, try choosing a long enough knife with no elbow (the angled portion of the metal tip) to avoid having the mixed paint collect too close to the handle.
- Use plastic spatulas only for acrylic paint. To clean the spatula, wipe it on a cloth while the paint is still wet. If the paint dries, scratch it off with your nail or a blade, if necessary.
- Avoid using a brush to mix paint. The paint will become embedded in the bristles, damaging the brush. This method also wastes paint.